Posts for tag: Autism Screenings
Is early screening for autism right for your child?
We understand all of the hard work that goes into being a parent. You work tirelessly to keep your children healthy and safe. Of course, maybe some of your child’s behaviors have made you wonder whether you should turn to our West Jordan, UT, pediatricians for an early autism screening. We want to provide families with the information and resources they need to decide whether an early autism screening is right for their child.
When should my child be screened?
Maybe you have concerns, or maybe you don’t. Either way, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends having all children screened for autism between 18-24 months. If you have concerns about whether your child might have autism, let our pediatricians know before your child’s 18 or 24-month checkup.
What are the signs of autism?
Signs will manifest differently based on your child’s age. You may wish to have your child screened for autism if,
- Your child doesn’t display eye contact or doesn’t show happy, smiling expressions by 6 months
- Your child doesn’t respond to your facial expressions with sounds or smiles by 9 months
- Your child doesn’t babble, gesture and points, reach for objects or respond to their name by 12 months
- Your child uses very few works by 16 months
- Your child doesn’t string together two-word phrases by 24 months
You may also wish to have your child screened for autism if,
- They avoid eye contact
- They don’t babble or imitate speech
- There is a delay in language development
- Your child shows an extreme reaction to changes in their routine
- They display repetitive habits such as rocking or flapping
- They have limited interests
- They have trouble understanding others’ emotions
- They repeat words or phrases often (called echolalia)
What are the next steps?
If you have concerns, you may wish to check out the Modified Checklist for Autism in Toddlers™ (M-CHAT) to determine whether you should visit our pediatricians for an evaluation. If there is a high probability that your child may have autism, please contact us for a checkup.
The sooner autism is diagnosed the sooner we can create a treatment plan that helps with every facet of your child’s life, from school performance to social life. Want to sit down with our West Jordan, UT, pediatricians to discuss whether your child should be screened? If so, simply call Southwest Children's Clinic at (801) 563-1975 to book an appointment with us.