If your child wants to start participating in school sports, then chances are good that they need to undergo a sports physical, or pre-participation exam (PPE) before they can participate in any physical activity. From the office of our West Jordan, UT, pediatricians, learn about the importance of sports physicals and what happens during this exam.
More about sports physicals
Here’s why it’s important that every child, no matter their activity level, see their Jordan, UT, pediatrician for their annual sports physical:
- To ensure safe participation in their chosen sport or activity
- To reduce the risk for sports-related injuries
- To identify certain health problems that could affect physical activity (e.g. asthma)
- To treat conditions that may require long-term medication or care (e.g. heart rhythm disorders)
- To identify and treat old injuries that could affect future athletic performance
- To discuss the importance of a healthy diet and lifestyle
During this examination, we will look for certain conditions and past injuries that could affect your child’s ability to participate in certain activities. Some of the issues that we look for include,
- Instability in the ankle or knee
- Dislocation or fracture
- Heart rhythm disorders
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
What happens during a sports physical?
When your child comes into our office for their annual sports physical, we will have you fill out paperwork in order to detail information about their health, current medications, family medical history, and any health problems or hospitalizations that they’ve undergone.
From there we will also check their vital signs, record their height and weight, and then perform a comprehensive physical exam to check everything from their lungs and ears to their heart and reflexes. If your child is apprehensive about the exam, rest assured that the entire process is completely painless and non-invasive!
Additionally, this is a great time to ask us any questions or address any concerns that you might have. Our goal is to help your child lead a healthier life, whether that’s by recommending certain dietary changes or by providing advice on how to help your child avoid alcohol and drugs.
Give us a call
Here at Southwest Children’s Clinic in West Jordan, UT, your child’s health and safety are of the utmost importance. Don’t wait until the beginning of the school year to schedule your child’s sports physicals—schedule your child’s upcoming sports physical today by dialing (801) 563-1975.